Sunday, February 27, 2011

My Media Diet


Sunday Jan 20:
-       Phone Call (45 min)
-       Reddit (1 hr)
-       Gmail (20 min)
-       Facebook (10 min)

Monday Feb 21:
-       Watching TV on my computer (45min)
-       Gmail (20min)
-       Reading for classes- entire weeks’ worth of reading assignments (3 hr)

Tuesday Feb 22:
-       Gmail (10 min)
-       Pandora Radio (3 hr)
-       Applying to various jobs online (1.5 hr)
-       Homework (1 hr)

Wednesday Feb 23:
-       Gmail (15 min)
-       Playing Battlefield Bad Company 2 with a friend (1 hr)
-       Reddit (1 hr)
-       Phone call (15 min)

Thursday Feb 24:
-       Gmail (20 min)
-       Facebook (10 min)
-       Phone Interview (1.5 hr)
-       Movie on Netflix (1.75 hr)

Friday Feb 25:
-       Phone call (20 min)
-       Watching TV on my computer (1.5 hr)
-       Reddit (40 min)
-       Facebook (15 min)
-       Played Pandora at a party (5 hr)

Saturday Feb 26:
-       Grooveshark (1 hr)
-       Gmail (30 min)
-       Reddit (1.5 hr)
-       Watching TV on my computer (3 hr)

      During the week I also would use my phone for texting. I did not count this in my time because it was too hard to calculate. It was a few minutes here and there.

                  I feel like my average media consumption is slightly different than most people. During the week I never once watched television. This did not surprise me because I almost never watch television anymore. I will exclusively use Hulu, Netflix, or stream a show from a site like MegaVideo. By far my most commonly visited website is reddit.com. Reddit is an aggregator site similar to Digg (except better) where users will post things that interest them. These posts will either be “upvoted” or “downvoted” depending on how well the community likes the content. Because of this I find that Reddit is the best way for me to find the most interesting, though provoking, or funny things on the internet easily.
                  I think my media diet reflects my personality. I tend to like to learn and do a lot of different things rather than focus on one specific task and go into tons of detail about that one thing. Reddit is an example of this. With Reddit I can read topics about programming, quickly switch to videos on YouTube, and then finish with stupid pictures of cats. I also noticed that I do not use social networks very frequently. I would only be on Facebook for at most 15 minutes a day for a total of 35 minutes over the entire week. I think that most people my age spend around 35 minutes a day on Facebook (and maybe even more). I have seen numbers that reflect that on people’s blog posts. I don’t see either trend as being “right” or “wrong,” it just reflects my personality.
                  I also found that my technology use reflects the way that I like to work. On Monday, for example, I did all of the reading and most of the homework that I needed to do for that week of school. I like to do a lot of work at one time and get it all done. Right now I am doing three blog posts at once rather than spacing them out of the quarter. If I do not do this I find that the work will loom over me and make me feel uncomfortable. I also like to get my work done early if possible (even through these blog post assignments have not reflected that…).
                  I think my media consumption reflects America in general; maybe not the times that I used each technology, but the fact that I used the technology consistently. If for some reason the internet went down, or technology was suddenly not available I think that society would not function. I know that I would have a hard time. I don’t know what I would do to replace the time that I once filled with technology, and I don’t think that I would be able to complete my schoolwork. Because of this I do not have any desire to change my current media consumption. What I am doing now works for me, and I do not see any problem with what I am currently doing. I do think that my current social situation influences the media I intake. I am very well versed in using computers so most of my time is spent on the internet. My grandparents, however, tend to consume television media more, because that is what they are used to. When I am older, maybe I will not use the latest technology as much as I would use the internet.

No comments:

Post a Comment